My family loves to be outside, and stay active. Plus we have 3 kids and most kids do not sit still, they’re constantly moving or constantly wanting to do something. Which is okay, i love being their mama, and i love engaging in activities with them. My favorite is watching their little personalities shine through each activity. Here are a few of our favorite activities to do as a family when its budget week and we’re really trying not to spend that extra cash.
1. Make Homemade Lemonade – So my kids are obsessed with my homemade lemonade, and they’re even more obsessed with helping me cook and bake. It’s my natural instinct to encourage them to help. I let them help me squeeze the lemon juice with a juicer after i add the sugar and they mix it and pour in their favorite cups. Most of the time we make lemon freezes with our popsicle molds found on my 10 summer must haves blog post. Be on the lookout for my recipe! 😉
2. Play Hide & Seek – Growing up this was a tradition. Every holiday, every get together, and any family event. My cousins, siblings, and i would always play hide and seek. Of course i have to play this, this game has so much nostalgia, its a must with my kiddos.
3. Play a game of volleyball – For as long as i can remember my families* have always played volleyball almost every easter and every summer; & i personally think this game is so much of fun. Of course, im competitive so that could be why. Definitely give it a try, its a great game to stay active and wear those kiddos out.
4. Play Tag – Okaaayyyyyyy! Tag is a forever game, it’ll forever be around, my kiddos play it at school, i played it in school, and my mom played it in school. It’s seriously here forever and theres something strangely fun about running around like a wild goose chasing people, screaming, “TAG! YOU’RE IT!”. Plus im really clumsy, so the hubs and kiddos really enjoy watching me almost break an ankle!
5. Head to the beach and make sandcastles – I live on the coast in South Texas (in case you haven’t read my about me or noticed from my consisent y’alls LOL) and a beach is just 5 minutes up the road. On our beach we have a cute little pirate ship playground and the kiddos absolutely love playing there. I think they like having the option to walk up to the beach and splash-splash around or dry off and run around on the playground.
6. Go for a swim – If you have a pool at home suit up and get those children in there. Pool time is basically a necessity in our household every summer, and we cant wait to go for a dive!
7. Picnic at the park – We don’t really do actual picnics, like with the cute red checkered blanket and woven basket. I’m more of, “Who wants to go to the park and get McDonalds.” I usually treat them with a slushy of some sort, or something super refreshing. Either way its a super fun win, memories are made and bellies get full. 🙂
8. Go fishing – My hubby loooooves to go fishing! Its honestly how most of our first few dates went, and how i jokingly tell our son how we “got,” him. HAHA! If you don’t mind a salty breeze, and baiting a hook, this could be super fun. Especially if you’ve never gone fishing before! Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
9. Go on a hike – Okay guys, i love adventures & exploring! I love learning new things about different cultures, visiting new places, & trying new things. Hiking is so much fun, it brings out my inner kid and my kiddos enjoy it too.
10. Have a dance off – Don’t be shy! Crank up the volume and let the music move you! I love to dance, preferably after a few tequila shots, but if im with my mini’s the tequila isn’t necessary. We all love to dance, except for Alex Jr. (my son) he’s a little more conservative and shy; but once you get him cranked up he lets it all out! Try starting with the cha cha slide, or the cupid shuffle. Usually a few line dances gets everyone up and in the mood to dance.
What are some ways you and your family beat the heat during the summer?